Friday, May 21, 2010

Human Subjects

I would mostly call myself a landscape or nature photographer, being as those things are my favorite things to photograph, but I sometimes ache to photograph people. I'm not necessarily a portrait photographer though. It is a type of photography I wouldn't mind mastering some day, but I often find myself more comfortable alone in the wilderness, with an ipod and my camera. Very rarely do I venture into a social setting and capture people for who they are. When I do, it's normally from afar, with more of a street or documentary feel to the pictures. Heaven forbid, I actually arrange a shoot and ask them to smile and look at me! But it has happened, and the times that it has, I have definitely enjoyed it. So today, I'm going to post a few pictures I have taken of people. My favorites. :D Hope you enjoy them!

Up first are Josh and Rebecca. I took their engagement photos for them, and it was just a fun time to be outdoors with these two and try to capture the sweetness and beauty of their relationship. :)



Here are a few shots of one of my best friends, Jessica. She'll argue to the death about how good of a subject she is, but my sister has shot photos of her too and we both enjoyed working with her and the end results, so she can just suck it up. :P





Next up are my niece and nephew. My niece Joselyn has been the main one to pose for me, but I have managed to snap Liam as well. I also have Hunter, Leslie, and Stran, but I have yet to do a sit down shoot with them, so some of their photos may come later. After all, some of the best photos come from when they aren't expecting it. Especially with children. They tend to think that a camera always means you can stick your tongue out or put your finger up your nose. :P Joselyn, however, is a natural and super photogenic, so I'll post a few intentional poses from her, and then you'll meet Liam :P

First up is Joselyn in her Sally costume. She LOVES The Nightmare Before Christmas, and my sister made the dress and drew on her stitches. We took her to a cemetery to try and capture a little bit of Halloween town, but took them during the day for fun (and less spooks. She was pushing 5 at the time. :P)




Here is her little brother, Liam, who is a joy to photograph and just spend time with. He is one of the sweetest little angels on the planet, and I think you can tell that through his photos.



Here are a few more engagement photos, this time of my friends Ian and Desirea, who, as of this morning, just had a new baby, Allison, who I can't wait to meet. :D



Just recently, I took photos of some friends of mine. They are so fresh that I am still currently going through them and sorting, cropping, you name it. :D But I have a few ready, so here they are. Meet Kelly and Colin, some of my Bellingham friends. Their photos turned out so well that they may very well get their own blog once I'm done with all of their photos. :D



I love taking pictures of my family and friends when they are unaware. Here is my brother-in-law (might as well be!) Tyler, at his wedding rehearsal. I gave him copies of this photo at Christmas that year. His reaction: "I didn't even know you took it!"

What can I say? I'm an assassin. :P


I seem to capture Judd the best when he's least expecting it. Otherwise, he'll walk out of frame and refuse a photo, or give me a mean glare, lol. I may be biased, but I think he's a beautiful subject.




Here is one of my best friends, Christen, when we went to get tattoos together. Watching her get these tattoos, and having her there to hold my hand during mine was one of my top life experiences thus far. I guess you just had to be there.


I could do this all day, but I'm going to wrap it up with a few more pictures. Since it's fair to say that I know how to operate a camera, and also know best how my own face looks when photographed, I have been known to do self portraits. Don't we all? But I will say it's fun to have profile pictures that aren't the mirror reflection kind. :P Though we've ALL been guilty of those. Here's a few of me.

One with blonde hair. Throughout my 28 years, I've had my hair every color under the sun. :P


I had this one framed for my mom around Mother's Day, 2009.


and prior to Mother's Day, 2010, after her passing, my computer hard drive completely crashed and I feared I had lost everything photo-wise, including the last photos of her that I got to take. By some miracle, the hard drive was restored, and I got this beautiful photo of my mother at her last Ren Faire with her girls back. :)


We were regulars at The Castle of Muskogee for years. It is currently going on this month and I'm not back home to go, but a part of me knows it wouldn't be the same without her. I miss her very much and I'm beyond grateful that all of my photos were restored. To see her smiling face is a very positive thing for me. :)

Well, thanks for reading. I tried not to talk too much but I still had to introduce the photos. :P I might do a second blog with more of my people photos. I forgot how many I had!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this post! I think the photos are fabulous! You catch the emotions in them and Liam's in the wheat is so great! Your niece in that cemetery is awesome!! I love the that idea! I love the one of your mother and I'm so thankful to God and your retriever that you did not loose all the beauty you have captured through out your years!

    ReplyDelete